• White YouTube Icon

©2018 by ShenTzu Games. Proudly created with Wix.com

Neo Edda - Dev Diary #5

I guess it's true when they say "it gets worse before it gets better". Let's just say this week wasn't fun for me and leave it at that. I did manage to get a few things done though, so yay for that.

THIS PAST WEEK

The main thing I was working on this week was the opening map of the first level. It was pretty straightforward, but I have to say I didn't expect getting parallax scrolling right to be so hard. Honestly I already had the code for it, but the hard part was making a looping parallax... with non-looping elements. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but for now I'm making do with a really wide parallax so there isn't much overlap. Either way I think it turned out pretty well.

I'm still using the old sprite though, more on that later. And I think I should try and get better resolution somehow, though this doesn't look too bad.


The player character for the demo is currently being designed/drawn. I'll be post something when it's done, but so far it's looking pretty good. Once that's done (probably sometime next week) I'll commission the sprite and work on adding that into the game.


THE NEXT WEEK

The next week will pretty much just be catching up on the lost productivity this week. As mentioned before I'll hopefully be able to commission the sprite, but I also want to overhaul some of the UI stuff and in game powers. For instance, right now I just have a magic arrow sprite hovering on top of the character to indicate that the magic arrow power is active. While that might have been okay for the prototype, I'd like to make something that looks more... natural. I haven't decided what exactly yet, but I came up with a few ideas while bedridden and I'd like to try them out. UI icons could use some touching up as well.


Something else that came to mind was that I'd need to overhaul the sound effects as well. I do have a stash of various sfx though, so hopefully I can find stuff from there. It's not as important though, so I'll put that in the back along with script and monster sprites.


SUMMARY/TL;DR

Completed This Week:

- Drew the first map of the demo

- Got the player character designed

- Came up with a few ideas


To Do Next Week:

- Make more maps for the prologue level

- Commission sprite for warrior maiden

- Overhaul some UI elements/in game objects

- Write script for prologue level

- Look at marketplace for assets

- Pick out new SFX


A shorter entry this week and not much done, but I hope that I'll get better over the weekend and next week will be much more productive. Thanks for reading!